In the chalk cliffs below Beachy Head, three centuries ago, a lone country clergyman carved out a cave and sat through storm-lashed nights with a lantern, trying to save shipwrecked sailors from the rocks. This is the strange and moving story of Parson Darby’s Hole — and the man they called “the sailors’ friend.”
A deadly coast
The seas off Beachy Head have always been treacherous. Hidden chalk reefs, unpredictable currents and sudden fog made this one of the most dangerous stretches of the English coast in the age of sail, and shipwrecks were tragically common. When ships went down, the bodies of drowned sailors were washed up on the shore below the cliffs — and it fell to the local parson to bury them.
That parson was Jonathan Darby. Born around 1667 and educated at Oxford, he became curate at Litlington in 1692 and went on to serve the Downland parishes of Wilmington, Friston and East Dean. Burying so many lost seafarers weighed heavily on him, and Darby resolved to do something no one else had: to try to stop the wrecks from happening at all.
The cave in the cliffs
Darby’s solution was extraordinary. In the cliffs beneath the site of today’s Belle Tout, he enlarged an existing cave — said to have been an old smugglers’ hideaway — into a refuge and a warning beacon. According to the tellings, he cut a chimney-like passage up from the shore and hollowed out “rooms” with ledges, where on stormy nights he would set fixed lanterns to show mariners exactly where the deadly coast lay. It was, in effect, a primitive lighthouse, more than a century before Belle Tout was built.
There he would sit through long, wild nights, watching the sea by lantern-light. The cave is said to have been furnished simply, with a table, chair and lamp. He is credited with saving many lives — and on occasion with hauling shipwrecked sailors to safety into the cave itself.
Did you know? Parson Darby’s Hole is sometimes described as the first-ever “Seven Sisters lighthouse” — a one-man rescue station carved out of the chalk long before any official light warned ships off this coast.
Hero or smuggler?
Like all the best local legends, Darby’s story has more than one version. To most he was a selfless hero. But others whispered that the cave and its lights served a second purpose: guiding smugglers and their cargoes of contraband tea, silk and tobacco safely ashore, away from the eyes of the customs men. The truth is lost to time.
The coast around him certainly had a darker side. Some local people profited from wrecks, stripping stranded ships of everything of value, and there are old (much-debated) tales of “wreckers” luring vessels onto the rocks by tying a lantern to a grazing donkey on the clifftop, so its bobbing light looked like a ship riding safely at sea. Historians caution that such stories are hard to prove. There is a sadder thread to the legend, too: Darby lost two infant children and, in 1723, his wife — and some say grief was part of what kept him alone in his cave, night after night, with only the crash of the waves for company.
The sailors’ friend
Jonathan Darby died in 1726 and was buried in the churchyard at East Dean, at the ancient church of St Simon and St Jude. His epitaph records the way his neighbours chose to remember him — simply as “the sailor’s friend”. After his death the cave he had made took on a new life: for a while it became a curiosity that people came to see, before passing, fittingly enough, into the hands of the very smugglers who prized any good hiding place along the shore.
Visiting today
Sadly, there is nothing left to see of the cave itself. The relentless erosion of the chalk cliffs — the same process that later threatened the Belle Tout lighthouse — long ago swept Parson Darby’s Hole into the sea. But you can still walk the spectacular clifftops above where it once stood, between Beachy Head and Belle Tout, and picture that solitary lantern glowing far below. Darby’s grave can be found in the churchyard at East Dean, and his name lives on locally, including in an ale brewed nearby by the Beachy Head Brewery.
Please note: The cliffs around Beachy Head are unstable and constantly eroding. If you go to explore Darby’s clifftop, always keep well back from the edge, stick to the marked paths, and take care in windy weather.
Parson Darby’s Hole: FAQs
What was Parson Darby’s Hole?
A cave in the chalk cliffs below Beachy Head, enlarged in the early 1700s by the Rev. Jonathan Darby, parson of East Dean. He used it as a refuge for shipwrecked sailors and set lanterns in it to warn ships off the rocks — a kind of primitive lighthouse.
Who was Parson Darby?
Jonathan Darby (c.1667–1726), a clergyman who served the Downland parishes of Wilmington, Friston and East Dean. Moved by the many sailors drowned off Beachy Head, he created his cliff cave to try to save lives, earning the epitaph “the sailor’s friend”.
Can you still visit Parson Darby’s Hole?
No — the cave has long since been lost to coastal erosion and no longer exists. You can, however, walk the clifftops above where it stood, near Belle Tout, and visit Darby’s grave in East Dean churchyard.
Was Parson Darby really a hero?
Most versions of the legend celebrate him as a life-saver, but some tales cast the cave as a smugglers’ signal instead. With the facts now lost, both sides of the story survive as part of Beachy Head’s folklore.
Explore more: our guide to Beachy Head, the story of the Beachy Head lighthouses, and Eastbourne’s smuggling history.