Today it is a glittering marina of yachts, waterside restaurants and thousands of homes. But for centuries, the eastern edge of Eastbourne was a vast, wild expanse of shingle known as the Crumbles — a bleak, beautiful wilderness of pebble ridges, ponds and rare plants. This is the remarkable story of how that shingle desert was dug away, flooded and finally reborn as Sovereign Harbour.
What: shingle bank east of town  |  Size: around ¾ mile (1.2km) wide  |  Partitioned: 1845  |  Gravel era: c.1849–1986  |  Now: Sovereign Harbour (opened 1993)
In this guide
A wilderness of shingle
Dukes, Gilberts and the great partition
The gravel years
Flying machines and a miniature railway
From gravel pits to Sovereign Harbour
Frequently asked questions

A wilderness of shingle

The Crumbles is a great bank of coastal shingle — an area of deposition built up over centuries by the sea — stretching between Eastbourne and Pevensey Bay. At its widest it was some three-quarters of a mile across, and its irregular surface of pebble ridges and hollows once held pools of standing water. This land now lies beneath Sovereign Park and Princes Park, continuing westward towards Sea Houses near the pier.

It is an ancient feature. A “Crumble Pond” appears on maps of Sussex going back centuries — including John Speed’s map of 1611, Robert Morden’s of 1693, and the Ordnance Survey map of 1813. For generations it was open, windswept beachland, a place of big skies and shifting stones. Botanically it was also precious: the Crumbles was home to many rare shingle-loving plants, part of a nationally scarce coastal habitat.

Dukes, Gilberts and the great partition

Like so much of Eastbourne, the story of the Crumbles is bound up with the town’s great landowning families. In 1845 the shingle was formally partitioned between Lord Burlington — later the 7th Duke of Devonshire, the man who did more than anyone to build the modern resort — and the Gilbert family, another dynasty with deep Eastbourne roots.

The two families were connected by marriage through the Comptons, landowners whose estate was run from Compton Place. This tidy division of the land was said to have helped clear the way for the development of the Seaside suburb spreading east of the town. The wild shingle, in other words, was already being drawn into the orbit of Eastbourne’s Victorian growth.

The gravel years

When the railway reached Eastbourne in 1849, the Crumbles found a new purpose — as a quarry. The shingle was exactly what the rapidly expanding railway network needed for ballast, and it was carted away in staggering quantities. Over the course of a hundred years, shingle was removed at a rate of around 250,000 tons a year, for railway ballast and building material alike. The area even had its own railway line, in use for some seventy years.

Did you know? So much shingle was hauled away that the very height of the land dropped — by around four metres within 100 metres of the shore. The Crumbles wasn’t just built on; it was physically dug down and carried off, one trainload at a time.

The trade could not last. When the railways switched to using crushed granite chippings — which interlock more tightly than rounded flint pebbles, absorb shock better and are easier to maintain — around 1930, the demand for Crumbles shingle went into terminal decline. Extraction dwindled, and by the 1930s the character of the operation had changed: gravel was now dug on an industrial scale, gouging out great pits. That extraction finally ceased when the plant closed in 1986, leaving behind a landscape of flooded gravel pits and ponds — the raw material, as it turned out, for what came next.

Flying machines and a miniature railway

In its undeveloped century, the Crumbles saw some remarkable episodes. In 1911 the Eastbourne Aviation Company was founded here, on the site by the present Sovereign Centre. It did not merely teach people to fly — it built aircraft, and thrived during the First World War after being requisitioned for the war effort. The factory wound down in 1924 and the company was dissolved in 1932; its sheds stood empty until they were demolished in 1940.

Decades later came a more whimsical arrival. A miniature tramway ran for about a mile across the still-open Crumbles, from near Princes Park and Wartling Road towards Langney Point, close to the old Martello tower. It opened in 1954 and delighted visitors for years — until 1970, when the owners fell out with the council and, tellingly, it was the looming development of the Crumbles that sealed its fate. The little tramway packed up and moved to Devon, where it survives today as the popular Seaton Tramway. Eastbourne’s loss became Seaton’s gain.

Good to know: This lonely stretch of shingle also had a darker reputation. In the 1920s it was the scene of two of the most notorious crimes of the decade — read the full story in our guide to the Crumbles Murders. For the fuller local history, Ann Botha’s book The Crumbles Story is the definitive account.

From gravel pits to Sovereign Harbour

The idea of a harbour on the Crumbles was first floated in the 1960s, but it was far from universally welcomed. Through the 1960s and 70s it was petitioned against, largely over fears about the effect a harbour would have on coastal processes and the town’s sea defences. Nevertheless the scheme pressed on, and a bill was enacted as the Eastbourne Harbour Act 1980. In 1988 the developers Tarmac — later Carillion — struck an agreement with Southern Water to safeguard the sea defences fronting the thousands of new houses they planned to build.

The genius of the design was to use the flooded gravel pits themselves. Those water-filled hollows, the scars of a century of extraction, were filled in or adapted to form the harbour’s basins. In 1993 Sovereign Harbour emerged from the old workings, and it was officially opened by Diana, Princess of Wales. The retail side began trading the same year.

Today the transformation is complete. Where there was once only shingle and gravel pits, there are now five linked harbours — North, South, West, Outer and Inner — ringed by a marina, a fishing quarter and boatyard, a retail park, restaurants and bars, a primary school and a medical centre, and several thousand homes and waterside flats. From a windswept wilderness of pebbles to one of the largest marinas in northern Europe, the Crumbles has been reinvented more thoroughly than almost anywhere else in Eastbourne.

Frequently asked questions

What was the Crumbles?

The Crumbles was a large bank of coastal shingle, around three-quarters of a mile wide, stretching between Eastbourne and Pevensey Bay. It was open beachland famous for its rare shingle plants — and it underlies today’s Sovereign Harbour, Sovereign Park and Princes Park.

Why was the shingle dug away?

After the railway reached Eastbourne in 1849, Crumbles shingle was in huge demand as railway ballast. Around 250,000 tons a year were removed over a century, lowering the land by about four metres near the shore. Industrial gravel extraction continued until the plant closed in 1986.

How did Sovereign Harbour come to be built there?

A harbour was first proposed in the 1960s and enabled by the Eastbourne Harbour Act 1980. Developers Tarmac and later Carillion used the flooded gravel pits left by extraction to form the harbour basins. Sovereign Harbour opened in 1993, officially opened by Diana, Princess of Wales.

Is there anything left of the old Crumbles?

Little of the open shingle survives, though a fenced-off fragment can still be seen near the Waterfront. The old miniature tramway that once crossed it now runs as the Seaton Tramway in Devon, and the area’s story lives on in local history books and street names.

Explore more of Eastbourne’s east end

See what the Crumbles became in our complete guide to Sovereign Harbour, uncover the shingle’s darker past in the Crumbles Murders, discover the beach that built aeroplanes in our Eastbourne aviation history, or read the full history of Eastbourne.


Spot something that needs correcting? Contact the editorial team.